Caroline Augusta Woodhouse
On April 17, 1860, Mr. Woodhouse received and purchased a title of land owned by the United States Government. The abstract for the property was signed by then President Abraham Lincoln. Within the next 10 years, there were three other children added to the Woodhouse family. Hettie, Minnie, and Joe were all born on the farm bought by James Woodhouse. The original house in Dunnville that Caddie grew up in was built in 1856 by Levi Drake. When Mr. Woodhouse bought the house, it was larger. The large kitchen on the west side of the house was removed a couple years later. In the attic above the kitchen Mr. Woodhouse repaired clocks.
In 1929, an enormous fire destroyed the store, leaving only parts of the foundation left to see. Today it is hidden between a thick blanket of weeds. A frame schoolhouse was built in the village of Dunnville in the fall of 1858. It was constructed by W.R. Culbertson and Russell R. Root for approximately $88. Hugh Macauley was the first teacher to teach at the school. John Woodhouse became treasurer of the School District #3 and served in that position until September of 1867 when he moved the family to St. Louis, Missouri. The schoolhouse remained in tact until 1908. A brick schoolhouse was built to replace it. The old school was sold as a dwelling and was moved to a site about two blocks south of the school yard.
In the 1930's, a fire destroyed the building. Dr. Crocker was the doctor in the area when Caddie Woodlawn and her family lived here. His home still stands in the village of Dunnville. He served a large area that included Menomonie and Chippewa Falls. His wife, Mary, had a collection of dolls that Caddie admired greatly, which was mentioned in the book, Magical Melons. The Crocker farm was the next place to the east of the Woodhouse home.